Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tuesday 7/14 Recap

Not quite as busy as Monday, I had to work. Went to Sunflower Market aftwerwards to pick up the right cheese and veggies because my Mother in Law, Theresa, was staying for dinner after taking Hunter to his 2nd PT. I planned sausage and veggie pitas with gouda and fries. Of course, it's 95 degrees, I finish at Sunflower and the car won't start!! It took like 20 minutes. Then, (OF COURSE) right after I call Scott, it starts! The starting issue comes and goes so how much do you pay someone to fix something when they don't even know what it is and can't get it to happen on command?!?!

So... Menus
Breakfast~ Apples and whole milk for the kids getting up. Scott had toast and eggs again and I hit the ground running at work and did a naughty thing and skipped breakfast. By the time I looked up at work, it was 11:45 AM and time for lunch! The kids had their meals at school.
Snack: Okay, only me... candy in the boss' drawer. I don't like chocolate really but if you put caramel or something in it... I'm all on that train!
Lunch- I had the leftover pasta from Monday with some Ragu sauce and 2 plums. Scott had another sandwich with meat/cheese/mustard. He also had a large salad with leftover veggies and dressing, which were accounted for or "borrowed"
Dinner: Sausage & Veggie Pitas, fries, milk, and water.


  • Sausage and Veggie Pitas

1 # sausage, mild or hot

1 zucchini, sliced/diced

1 squash, sliced/diced

1/2 eggplant, sliced/diced

1T olive oil or several spritz's of oil spray to cook veggies

several thin slices of tomato

several thin slices of gouda cheese

italian seasoning to taste

Pita pockets, sliced in half

Sautee sausage in a pan and either sautee veggies in the drippings or use a cooking spray or olive oil to cook veggies to tenderness (you can use onions, peppers, squash, eggplant, broccoli, beans, whatever suits your family's tastes or whatever you have available). Melt ~ 1/2 ounce Gouda in each pita half and then transfer sausage, veggies and tomato slices to pita. Serve warm.

I so wish I had a picture of this one. It will be the priciest meal of the week but it went over so well!! The Gouda makes this one though, beware.... another strong cheese could be substituted, like Edam or Blue, but Gouda is usually the cheapest and the easiest flavor to mix. Squash and eggplant were on sale here but I loooooove mushrooms in this one. Find them if you can!! Broccoli and any other veggie du sale is perfect.

As far as the fries. I do normally keep oil in my fridge for frying occasions such as these where I'm in a hurry, better than having to start with fresh oil every time!! But pan frying potatoes with a little oil is better, especially olive oil,vs. deep frying. And baking with a light spray of butter flavor oil spray plus some garlic salt or italian seasoning yields the healthiest, tasty option.

  • Homemade french fries

Peel and slice potatoes to meet size and content you like.

Bake potatoes in oven, microwave or deep fry.

Spray microwave and oven potatoes with cooking spray and sprinkle with italian seasoning for flavor.

Bake at 425*F for ~20-30 minutes.

My mother in law stayed to help put the kids to bed (she's a saint) so that I could get the grocery shopping done. I managed to get to Albertson's, Safeway and King Soopers (Kroger) before 9:30.

One notable item was at Albertson's. Filippio Berio Olive oil. A $2/1 printable online plus $4.49 sale price made this item too good not to get 2. And I had 2 $4 OYNO catalinas from the Kraft cheese deal 2 weeks ago so I got some coffee too (which is actually horrible by the way!!). I got some diapers for Hunter off the clearance rack but Ryanne will still need some by Thursday.

And instead of buying large amounts of laundry items, I used a $2/1 coupon to try the Purex 3-in-1. You put the sheet in the washer and it washes and softens and then just transfer it to the dryer as the dryer sheet. Not a huge fan to be honest. Doesn't eliminate static here in dry Colorado and I question if it will get a whole large load clean or if you'd always have to use 2 sheets. We'll see... I'll keep using them because that's what we have, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment