Sunday, July 5, 2009

POST #3: Things I've thought about...

First, who the heck are we??? I'm Kristi and my Husband is Scott. We live in Colorado. It's a nice place, but not the cheapest on earth! We have a 3.5 year old daughter, Ryanne, and a 2 year old son, Hunter, who has Cerebral Palsy. We also have a little Miniature Pinscher dog named Molly (so if you're looking for one, come take ours!!! LOL). We have been spend-thrift for nearly 2 years now and it's a way of life. I hope this challenge will break our conceptions of need vs. desire even more and we can shift the way we think by participating.

So, on to the meat of the post... things that we will "have" in our scenario.

1. Luckily, I pre-pack the diaper bag and keep it in the car Sunday nights in preparation for Monday therapy appointments. Included are:
  • 6 diapers for Hunter
  • 2 pull ups for Ryanne (she needs them at night and is often asked to spend the night with relatives on short notice, so we stock them)
  • toothbrushes and toothpaste for both, see reason above
  • A comb and a brush and hair ties for Ryanne
  • packets of thickener for Hunter
  • Some snacks, usually 2-3 granola bars, a few mini boxes of raisins and some Boost or Ensure or Pediasure drinks for Hunter.
  • An extra pair of socks for each child.
  • An extra change of clothes for each child and usually 2-3 pair of underwear for Ryanne.
  • Some cups, straws and a pacifier for Hunter. We need the binky for meltdowns (although I'm hoping to break him of the dang things during this challenge) and the cups/straws are so we can give him his thickened liquids when we're out and about.
  • Tylenol chewables and Advil liquid (you never know when you'll need it!!)
  • Crayons and other fun stuffs to occupy when we're out.
  • Diaper cream
  • A small bottle of J&J Baby wash... again, you never know LOL
  • A few travel lotions
  • Sunscreen
  • Wipes
  • A Barney video. Yes, Hunter is bloody ADDICTED to the big purple oaf. He watches the video in his 10:30 therapy session, it keeps him calm.

2. There are a few things I am able to stock at work. I have my own office and a locker room downstairs. All these things will still be available to us for use in the challenge.

  • About 2 sets of workout clothes and two pairs of tennis shoes
  • I keep a hair pick, brush, full sized shampoo, conditioner, lotion and deoderant for after workouts. I also bring a change of clothes and my makeup on Sunday nights. I work Sunday nights and I like to shower before coming home for "therapy day Monday". So woo hoo, I won't have to restock my makeup and I'll have 2 changes of clothes!
  • I have been bringing a yogurt for breakfast but I keep 1-2 boxes of cereal in my desk so I don't have to lug them back and forth.
  • I keep a box of kiddie granola bars for snacking
  • I keep copious amounts of gum at work because I chew it like it's going out of style
  • I keep Joint Juice and Vitamin Water 10's in my desk from the recent Safeway sales. I prefer them to the other beverage options during the day.

3. We keep a change of clothes for everyone in each car. Not the most stylish fare, but you'd be surprised how often we tap into them. There are also wipes in each car and 2 emergency diapers stocked. Hunter's walker is also in the car on Sunday nights. Can't live without that!! And we'll assume we save his shoes and AFO braces ;-)

4. I keep my coupon stock in the car. It's in a banker's box and I also tote my clipped coupons back and forth to work because I get the chance on my break sometimes to hit the stores that are closer to my work. Just another time saver ;-)

5. Since we DO have such a significant stockpile, I will "theoretically" buy some things. I will price them out, (less coupons of course), and they will "count against" our $400 total, regardless of actually purchased or not. If it needs to be "bought", it will be tallied as "spent", regardless if actually purchased or not. This way, we actually hold ourselves to the rules of the contest without expending 400 unnecessary dollars. I will keep detailed record of this in a way that will hopefully make sense to a viewer.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of for now. I will hopefully post the expected menu for week 1 soon. It's been a busy couple of weeks and I haven't really got to prepare for this much, but I guess that fits better into the challenge now doesn't it??? I won't even know what's on sale for next week until Wednesday, hope it's a great 1st week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment