Friday, August 7, 2009

Tip catchup!

30. Furniture Banks. I posted this down below but I didn't put it in tips and I think it's worthy... http://www.furniturebanks.org/ You can find one near you. Now, this is only if you really CAN'T afford furnishings for your house. This is an amazing service and I'd hate to see it abused. They provide free home furnishings for those in need. So check it out if you have no other resources or if you have something to give, I know they'd appreciate it!!

31. Practice the art of Giving! I know, this doesn't seem like a tip, but it is. By giving to charity and giving to others, we ourselves learn the value of what we have. Start by getting whatever you can "free" and giving it away (like toothpaste or laundry soap) and then, as money allows, start to give things requested specifically by charities or even monetary donations.

My personal favorite place to give is Children's Hospital. I never go to TCH with my son without bringing some toys and some toiletries. They gave me toiletries when I needed them when I was afraid to leave his bedside and they always offer my son a toy when he's had a difficult procedure. And what those things meant/mean to me is more than you'll know. I want every parent and child to have those things.
And the Special Olympics was always one of my favorites, even moreso now that my child is eligible for them. But I know their fundraising has gone awry lately and not all money goes to the kids so I like to find quality sports equipment to give them: balls, nets, pads, shoes, etc.
And finally animal shelters. It is not the animals' faults that humans brought them here with no plan by not spaying or neutering their pets, or properly caring for a pet that they gave away. I love the shelters that try to give every animal a chance.

Those are my favorites, but find something near to your heart. If giving of items isn't a possibility for you, try to find some time to give. Clean up a park, shop for someone who can't get out and shop for themselves, walk a Humane Society dog... anything. It not only benefits those who receive it, but you will benefit as well, I promise.

32. Make your own entertainment. My children have had no more fun than making their own "dollhouse". It's just a box to you and I. But to them, they've decorated the walls, made their own wall paper, their own couch, a flag out of a pencil and castle tops out of toilet paper rolls. Maybe this won't be the talking Barbie house that they'll love some day but right now they're so excited to add something new to it every weekend and it's the very first thing they show off when people come over. And you wouldn't believe how well both of them treat it. It is THEIRS, they OWN that and treat it with so much respect and love. It's not fancy but they are proud of it and I'm proud of them!

33. Go to the company websites of your favorites. Many companies are now offering special offers or coupons through their websites. And if you contact companies and tell them about a positive or negative experience, they'll usually send you some coupons as well. A dear friend from Babycenter "V- pastachic" put together this list of companies emails/websites that you can start from. I miss her presence on our board dearly but I hope her hard work and compilation can help out some others!! http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dfk9rdxc_5fbhm6wfr

34. Make your own yogurt!! We eat a lot of yogurt at our house and it's so good for you. There are many recipes out there but the one I've been following when yogurt is too pricey is crockpot yogurt from Stephanie at crockpot365: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html I like to add strawberry puree or other berries to ours. I'd like to get better about using her recipe all the time though. It's not too hard and you'll be surprised how much better fresh, homemade tastes!! I just got lazy with all the Yoplait deals this last month. AND it's great for little one's who need the extra calories because it's so hard to find cost effective whole milk yogurt without a bunch of additives in the stores!! Wow, that reminds me about that fact and I'm definitely making some this weekend :)

Gracious, that makes 1 tip per day since July 7 through Aug 9, which is the official end of the All You challenge. That was my goal and I can mark it off! I hope everyone got a little something out of them, maybe 1 or 2 that you hadn't seen somewhere :) I've loved seeing the tips from others as well so thank you also!! I hope to keep posting tips but I may not be able to keep up the one per day pace, we'll see ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment